The Bentley S2 debuted in September 1959 and followed on from its predecessor the S1. The S2 featured the all new aluminium Rolls-Royce - Bentley L Series V8, shared with the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II. It displaced 6.2 L and produced around 200 bhp. The S2 introduced an automatic transmission, power steering, and servo brakes as standard, with these features combining to make an excellent grand touring car. Production of the S2 Continental ran until 1962, with 388 examples being built during this time.
The RHD example we are thrilled to offer was delivered new in August 1960 to famous biscuits manufacturers, McVitie & Price Ltd and was used by the parent company's CEO, Hector Laing. Unusually, Laing had all his cars fitted with a compass, this one still present in the centre of the dash! Just 71 right-hand drive S2 coupes were produced by coachbuilders HJ Mulliner.
The car was owned by a private collector in Austria for some 15 years and was displayed in an Austrian museum for another 10 years before this. The previous owner of this example carried out a full nut and bolt restoration to the car in 2017 to a cost of over £100,000 with renowned classic car specialists Alan Carrington. The restoration involved a full bare metal respray to Tudor Grey, with red coachlines painted by Terry Cramp. The engine and transmission have been fully rebuilt, and the chassis, bodywork, and running gear all fully restored. The interior was retrimmed in black leather with European walnut veneer supplied by Silver Crest.
The car's history file maintains detailed restoration bills, original registration book, copy of original sales invoice as well as a vast number of sundry invoices and various service works carried out on the car during its lifetime. This example presents superbly and represents the rare opportunity to acquire a beautifully restored, S2 Continental with excellent provenance and maintenance history. Contact us now to find out more!